This post is sponsored by NOW foods. All opinions are my own.
Hi everyone!! Hope ya’ll had a great weekend! Anyone try out my spaghetti squash pizza crust this weekend? I’d love to hear what you thought if you did!
Normally Monday’s are for weekly recaps, but my week consisted of very few workouts and sitting in front of a computer screen doing computer based training for 8 hours every day this week. I started a new job and was in hospital orientation. Fun times. I’ll still be doing the same thing, just at a different hospital.
Anyway, I actually wanted to give you an update on the sleeping that is going on in this house and the ways that have helped us get some better sleep at night. As you know my 4 year old had pretty much never slept through a night in his life, which I’m sure most of the reasons were behavioral. This led to a VERY tired mom and dad and it was starting to get pretty bad. Yes I resorted to bribing (don’t judge) and I had to really buckle down on my nighttime sleeping habits.
I know I can’t be the ONLY one suffering from sleep problems, so I put together a list of things that have really helped ME get a better night’s sleep after HE started sleeping through the night.
- Keep the same sleep schedule–Go to bed at the same time every night and get up at the same time every morning. Not always possible of course, but getting your body on the same schedule every day can definitely help.
- Exercise daily–A study found that people sleep significantly better if they get at least 150 minutes of exercise in a week. Thanksfully for most of my readers, this isn’t really an issue.
- Unplug–this is hard for all of us in this world of computers, tablets, phones etc. I’m guilty of lying in bed scrolling through my phone with the lights out. Did you know that the light that is emitted from a computer or a phone/tablet actually stimulates the brain?! Ideally, you should unplug at least an hour before shutting out the lights!
- Have a relaxing bedtime ritual–Read a book, take a bath, dim the lights, light a candle, do some light yoga!
- Use essential oils.
I have been using essential oils for about a year now and have had great results from them. I’ve used them for headaches, nausea, clearing sinus congestion and the list goes on. I had always used them topically with a carrier oil but I had never diffused them. I finally did some reading on diffusing certain oils to help aid with sleep and decided it was time to go that route. It couldn’t hurt right?
Well, let me just tell you, as the Mini started having less wake ups at night, I was still waking up out of habit. So I started diffusing NOW Peace and Harmony blend and Lavender at night in their Ultrasonic Dual Mist Oil Diffuser in my room.
The Peace and Harmony blend has peppermint oil, patchouli oil, lavender, basil and orange oils in it and is known for calming, centering and balancing properties. I was finding that going into my bedroom at night, I was stressed because I knew that I was going to have to wake up a million times. Not a great way to start of a night of sleep. So, I started diffusing this a few hours before I went to bed and it actually HELPED me relax!
Things have been quite stressful around here with applying to grad school, starting a new job, studying for the GRE and not to mention how to fit this all in with a husband who travels all the time. I’ll take any extra help that I can get to relax.
Then I started diffusing the lavender while I was sleeping and WOW. I told you that I had been using my Garmin Vivofit2 to keep track of my sleep, and the difference before I started diffusing and after were amazing.
This was my sleep when mini #2 wasn’t sleeping…
I’m exhasted just looking at it. Yes, 43 minutes up and about…..uggh.
This was after he started sleeping better…..Sleeping, yes, but notice the deep sleep was lacking…
This is AFTER I started diffusing the oils…
Ahhhhhhhh! Can you hear the angels singing down from heavens? I know I sure can! And my sleep patterns have looked like this consistently since I started diffusing the oils at night.
There is no exact science to using essential oils, but I’m very evidence based person (being that I’m a nurse) and these graphics speak volumes to me at how much they really have helped.
Essential oils have been used for thousands of years. Why are they just becoming popular in the mainstream now? I don’t get it!
Now listen, I’m FAR from an expert on oils, so you should definitely do your research thoroughly before using them.
One of the most important things in choosing an oil is quality. The actual process of extracting an oil from it’s source is the most important steps in manufacturing an oil. NOW’s oils are extracted using three different methods and only the best practices. The NOW quality control experts use a number of quality test to ensure that all of their oils are of the highest quality.
The diffuser is awesome as well. NOW has many different varieties of diffusers, but I love this one because it is super quiet and has intermittent settings so it doesn’t have to run constantly if you don’t want it to.
I know that I can’t possibly be the only person that suffers from sleep problems, so I’m super excited that I get to giveaway the diffuser, the lavender oil and the peace and harmony oil blend to one of YOU!! Just use the rafflecopter below!
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
- You must be 18 years of age or older and is open to U.S. residents only
- The sweepstakes will run from 2/29/16 at 12:00am EST through 3/7/16 at 12:00am EST
- In order to enter to win you must use the rafflecopter entries.
- One winner will receive the NOW foods ultrasonic diffuser, one bottle of lavender oil and one bottle of peace and harmony essential oil blend.
- The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- The winner will be selected at random on 3/8/16 and will be notified via email. Winner will have 48 hours to respond to email If the prize winner forfeits or does not claim the prize, prize will be re-awarded, in Sponsor’s sole discretion.
- All entrants are bound by the official rules of this giveaway.
- Winner must be able to prove identity and provide a legal mailing address.
- All entries are verified by myself.
- VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW