There is so much randomness in my brain this week. The excitement for Paris is building so lots of stuff to think about! I’m linking up with Amanda from Running with Spoons for another installment of Thinking out Loud!
1. I’ve been stressing so much about packing for Paris. I’ve actually been laying outfit ideas out on the floor and taking pictures of them so when I go to pack I can just look at the pic and grab from my closet.
And yes, there are 12 outfits and I will only be there 6 days. What is a girl to do? A little OCD, I know. But seriously. This is my first real trip away in like 6 years (minus a few weekends here and there that I don’t count), and I want to get out of my workout clothes and feel like a hip, stylish, WOMAN. I will always be a mom, but this trip is for ME. That may sound selfish, but this IS for me and I plan to enjoy every second of it. My boys will be in great hands and I can just relax.
Not a lot of color if you notice, but I’ve been reading a lot of the Paris fashion blogs out there to figure out what to wear and apparently they don’t like a lot of color unless it’s a fun scarf. Parisians like their black leather jackets, basic stripes, black pants, jeans and red lipstick. So I think I’m on the right track!
2. It’s Spring Break and I’ve had the week jam packed of things to do with the boys. They need structure, so we have done small day trips every day so far to keep them busy. If we have nothing to do, it is a recipe for disaster!
3. So I’m getting a bit frustrated. The weather has been awesome here this week, and all I want to do is run outside, but I can’t with the kids. So I’ve had to resort to the treadmill for my shorter runs. I want to run outside so bad. But even this summer, I’ll have to resort to the mill because of the kids being out of school for the summer. Nighttime runs don’t usually work for us, and my husband leaves super early for work as well, so morning runs are hard too. Uggh, as much as I love the treadmill, I’m starting to be over it a little….shhh, don’t tell my dear treddy!
4. I’m really feeling gross these days. Remember when I posted my “before” photos when I started at OTF? Well, I loved OTF and know I would have seen some progress had I been able to go on a regular basis. But with all of the snow days and teacher work days, I was lucky if I was able to get there once a week. I’ve since stopped going because it’s just so hard to fit in our schedule right now. I’ve still been eating well, but I am still where I started if not a bit worse. Running does not help my quest unfortunately even when I eat super well. I’m getting frustrated especially now that since my jeans STILL don’t fit, my yoga pants are now starting to feel too small. How do stretchy pants get too small???! As soon as Paris is over, something has to give. I feel so uncomfortable in my skin right now it’s not even funny. I’m trying not to be too hard on myself, but ya’ll know what it feels like to not feel comfortable in your clothes and your own skin. And I wouldn’t believe you if you said you’ve never felt that way 😉
5. I have decided that I will be completely disconnecting from the blogging world while I’m in Paris. I’m leaving my computer at home and won’t be posting while I’m there. I also won’t be keeping up with reading blogs either, so I will just have to pick up when I get back, so if you don’t see or hear from me for a week and a half that’s why. It doesn’t mean I don’t love you, I just need to disconnect and get refreshed. You can follow me on Instagram though (if I can figure out how to get my phone to work internationally)! And don’t worry, I’ll post some pics from the marathon, and let you know how it went!
6. I’m really excited that Mini #1 is getting to the age where I can start reading chapter books to him and he really gets into it. I started reading the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe to him at night and he is sooooo into it. It’s really fun to read him books like that from my childhood. He asks me to read him more chapters every day and not just at bedtime. Love it and love that he loves to listen and is really doing a great job at reading himself! Can’t believe he will be in first grade soon! Where does the time go?!
7. Mr. Cupcakes comes home from work looking rather pouty….
Me: ” what’s wrong honey”.
Mr Cupcake: lies down on bed and says “i’m just sooo tired”
Me: Oh no! Did you not sleep well last night?
Mr. Cupcake: No, I slept fine, I ran 5 miles today.
To which I replied:
I wanted to slap him upside the head…for real.
Oy, I can’t WAIT to see what happens when he starts marathon training this summer….
8. Yesterday was a life changing, bittersweet day for me. As of April 1st, I have stepped down as Chapter Leader for the Moms Run This Town Chapter that I founded almost 3 years ago. It was a tough decision for me, but I just knew it was time. And I can’t say exactly why, because I don’t KNOW exactly why. I haven’t talked about my MRTT journey that much in my blog, but I thought you might like to read the note I posted to my girls…
Almost 3 years ago I moved here from Colorado. I knew no one and had 2 kids, ages 3 and 6 months. I had always been a runner but had taken a long hiatus (4 years) while I was having kids. When we moved here I knew it was such a great place to run and I wanted to get back into it and take some of the baby weight off and get in shape. One afternoon I was searching online for running groups and came across Moms Run This Town. I immediately searched for a chapter near me but the nearest chapter was in Vienna and I didn’t really want to travel that far. Then I noticed something on the bottom of the page that said “don’t see a chapter near you? Start your own.” I didn’t think anything of it and hoped that maybe someday soon someone would start a chapter.
Fast forward a few months. I checked back to the website every so often hoping for that day that someone had started the chapter. I wanted to run so badly but knew nobody and didn’t want to run by myself for safety reason and well, I didn’t know the area and didn’t want to get lost. Still, no one had started a chapter. I thought to myself….”why don’t I start one?” To which I promptly slapped myself across the face and said “what are you nuts?” I hemmed and hawed over it for a few months and finally one day decided that I was going to go for it and start my own chapter in Alexandria, VA. It was probably the scariest thing I had ever done. Well, one of the scariest.
For several months there was crickets. A new member here and there but no chatter on the page. But I would post something every day to try and get people engaged, but it was VERY slow going. I set up group runs and sometime was the only person that showed up, but I kept at it, until finally I had someone show up! And the next week a few more showed up! And then I met "S" (my co-leader) when she showed up to one of my group runs. We became quick friends and running buddies and got to chatting about how I should expand the group into Arlington and try to get some more interest and activity that way. So that’s what I did and added "S" as my partner in crime.
This group has grown in leaps and bounds since that very first group run. It has completely changed my life. I’ve met some of the best friends I’ve ever had and have developed so many great relationships because of it. It brought me a sense of community when I didn’t feel like I had one. Being a new mom can be tough and isolating and this brought me back to the land of the living. You ALL brought me back to the land of the living. You all continue to inspire me every single day and make my heart swell and feel like a proud mama bear.
I’m writing this to thank you all for supporting our chapter and truly making it what it is today. And amazing community that lifts women up and doesn’t tear them down. There is so much support and love and just pure AWESOMENESS that I can’t even describe how happy it makes me to see.
The time has come however, for me to step down from my Chapter Leader duties. As of April 1 (and no, it’s not a joke for April Fools Day), I will no longer be acting as Chapter Leader. This was an extremely hard decision for me as I feel like this chapter is my baby.... I can’t explain why, but I just know that it’s time. There is a lot of work that goes into this group behind the scenes and WE couldn’t do it without our amazing leadership team. It is extremely time consuming as there are duties that go far beyond just running this wonderful Facebook group. I am leaving the group in wonderful hands though. It’s been a long road and this group is so wonderful and has such great momentum, I can’t wait to see what it holds for the future.
Although I’m stepping down, I have not intention of going anywhere. This is an amazing group and I’m so lucky to still be part of it but just in a different way now!
Enough of my random musings, I really could go on forever!!
What randomness do you have this week?
If you have kids, what do you do to keep them entertained over school vacations?
Am I missing anything for my outfits for Paris?