*Disclaimer: I was provided a book for review, but all opinions are my own, as usual!*
Have you ever picked up a book and while reading it felt like you were having a conversation with the author? That doesn’t happen to me very often and it’s rare these days if I even get to finish a book. I have been following Lauren Evart’s blog for a while now because well, she’s witty and sarcastic and tells it how it is and I love that. So when I was contacted to participate in her New Year New You Virtual Book Tour I was all over it. She just released her first book called The Skinny Confidential: A Babe’s Sexy, Sassy, Health and Lifestyle guide.
If this was anything like her blog, I knew I would enjoy it…and I was right. I found myself laughing at almost every page.
The book covers a wide variety of topics to include:
- makeup, hair and beauty
She pretty much covers everything under the sun. And I love that she says “It’s a lifestyle, not a diet.” Amen sister! An excerpt from the introduction in the book:
“If you are hoping for a blueprint on how to diet, you are reading the wrong book. Throughout these pages you won’t learn how to deprive yourself.”
“The skinny confidential lifestyle is about balance, balance, balance and ultimately, discovering a way to live a happy, healthy life. Without the deprivation part.”
Now that is something I can wrap my head around.
I decided to take a close look at the recipes because, well, let’s face it I love to eat, so I’m always looking for some new recipes. And these are “Skinny Recipes that will change your FREAKING LIFE.” I also love a good cocktail recipe and ya’ll know that I LOVE my bubbly. So I decided to try out a few of Lauren’s recipes and oh my were they good.
“Eating healthy doesn’t have to be some calorie-counting, crazy diet. The more you fuel your body with healthful foods, the better you’ll feel and the better you’ll look.
I hate when dieticians tell people to count calories. As if we all don’t have enough going on. I MEAN, RIGHT?!”
Here were a few of my favs!
Getting Fizzy with it–Kombucha spritzer
“Oh hey, probiotics!
Kombucha is so cool.
Many people call it an “immortal health elixir”.”
I love my Kombucha and I love my bubbly so absolutely I wanted to try this out and it did NOT disappoint.
- 6 oz dry champagne
- 1/3 cup kombucha
It was like a fizzy party in your mouth. I can’t wait to make this for the summer!
Blood orange Skinny Margie Poos
“My motto on margaritas is this: Use only fresh ingreds–No chemicals. No artificial shit. Absolutely none. Stay away from store bought margarita mix and stick with fruit. After you have a margarita with real ingredients, you’ll never go back to fake, chemical crap.”
- 2 1/2 oz agave tequila
- 4 organic limes
- 2 lemons
- juice of 1 blood orange (or if they are out of season use 2 tangerines or 1 grapefruit
- 1/2 packet of stevia or 1 Tbsp raw organic honey
- 2 handfuls of ice
- 2 sprigs of rosemary for garnish
Oh my…. this was summer in a glass. I’m counting down the days.
A Sex Kitten’s Salad
This is an awesome fruit salad that Lauren has as a breakfast food, but really is great for any time.
“This is a fruit salad that will rock your world. It will set the tone for your day and give you sustainable energy. Enjoy this baby with a cup of green tea and you’re ready to start the AM off right.”
- 1 handful of strawberries, sliced
- 1 handful of blueberries
- 4 hefty pineapple wedges, chopped
- 1 kiwi, skinned and diced
- 4 Tbsp Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- Cinnamon, to taste
- Pumpkin pie spice, to taste
- Nutmeg, to taste
This salad was AMAZING. I had never used spices on a fruit salad before and OMG, was it delicious!Try these awesome recipes from @theskinnyshow and and win a copy of Lauryn Evarts new book… Click To Tweet
Bottom line…this book did NOT disappoint! It was entertaining and I couldn’t put it down. I’m a pretty blunt, to the point kind of person so I really appreciate her humor and matter of factness. So I am excited to share with you an awesome giveaway!! One of my readers will win an autographed copy of The Skinny Confidential: A Babe’s Sexy, Sassy, Health and Lifestyle guide! Just use the rafflecopter below!
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
- You must be 18 years of age or older and is open to U.S. residents only
- The sweepstakes will run from 2/3/15 at 12:00am EST through 2/10/15 at 12:00am EST
- In order to enter to win you must use the rafflecopter entries.
- One winners will receive an autographed copy of The Skinny Confidential: A Babe’s Sexy, Sassy Healthy Lifestyle guide, valued at approximately $15
- The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- The winner will be selected at random on 2/10/15 and will be notified via email. Winner will have 48 hours to respond to email If the prize winner forfeits or does not claim the prize, prize will be re-awarded, in Sponsor’s sole discretion.
- All entrants are bound by the official rules of this giveaway.
- Winner must be able to prove identity and provide a legal mailing address.
- All entries are verified by myself.
- VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW