I’ve been an early riser since….well since my kids were born.
It was my time to get up, get stuff done before they woke up. So it only made sense to start waking up in the morning to run. And lets face it, once it’s out of the way, you have the entire day ahead of you and you will most likely get a shower! If I go to the gym mid-morning, I’m lucky if I take a shower the rest of the day.
I was a great morning runner for the last 3 years and then all of a sudden it’s changed. There is nothing in the world that will get me out of bed at zero dark thirty right now.
Some blame it on the cold, but I can’t really blame it on the cold since I’ve been spending all of my time indoors on the treadmill. I’ve been trying to find the motivation, but it’s been hard. So I came up with a list of how to become a morning person again to try and encourage myself to get back out there again!
1. Find a buddy to keep you accountable. Find yourself a running group or some BRF’s that you KNOW will get you out there. If you know you are meeting someone and they are relying on you and waiting for you, you won’t want to let them down!
2. Lay out your clothes ahead of time (I’ve even heard of people sleeping in them). I do this before every early morning wake up. It helps because if not, I’m afraid of waking Mr. Cupcake!
3. Go to bed early. Yeaaaaa, right. This never happens for me unfortunately.
4. Do it gradually. Wake up 10-15 min early than normal until you hit the desired time.
5. Reward yourself. Set a goal to workout early for a certain number of days/weeks and then reward yourself so you have something to work towards. They said it takes 3 weeks to form a habit, right?!
6. Read a running magazine before bed to help excite and motivate you for the morning.
7. Keep your alarm out of arms reach. This one is hard since most of us sleep next to our phones on our night stand…I mean who actually has an alarm clock anymore?
8. Set your coffee maker to start brewing. Usually the smell will wake people up. Although I don’t drink coffee so this doesn’t work for me.
9. Tag your alarm. “Get up you LAZY PIECE OF SHIT” or “GET UP YOU BADASS MOTHER RUNNER”. This one works the best for me…nothing like letting your phone humiliate you. It would be nice if Siri would come on and start yelling these phrases AS the alarm!
10. Just do it. No excuses. You will never regret getting up and getting high from those exercise endorphins! Guaranteed.
Bonus: getting to see a beautiful sunrise!
Seriously, working out in the morning can be one of the best things you can do all day. It’s sets a great precedent for your day and will give you more energy throughout the day!! And you can have bragging rights when you say you were up at 4:30am to workout. That alone makes you feel like a Badass!Are you a morning person? Check out @suzy399 and her 10 ways to become an AM workout junkie! #noexcuses #running… Click To Tweet
Are you a morning workout person?
What is the best way to get YOU out of bed in the morning to workout?