*KT Tape sent me a roll of tape to review, all opinions are my own as usual*
Let’s talk injuries. If you are a runner, it is more than likely that you have suffered from some sort of injury, or some nagging discomfort that you refuse to call an injury….hello…De-Nile ain’t just a river in Egypt if you ask me, because I am the queen of denial. I’m pretty sure that if you asked me I would tell you , “nah, I’ve never had an injury”. Ummm, really? If the photos below aren’t evidence I don’t know what is. You see, when I think of an injury, I think of a stress fracture or something that prohibits you from running for a LONG period of time. I’ve had these “nagging discomforts” pretty much for the last 2 years. I’ve been diagnosed with weak glutes and core which leads to hip instability which leads to other nagging issues such as calf strains. But seriously…these are pictures of me over the last several years with my leg taped. But, I can run through it, so clearly not an injury……riiigghhhtt…..
Anyhoooo, I think one of the things that has actually kept me out on the road is kinesiology tape. If you haven’t heard of kinesiology tape, you really need to investigate. Both my physical therapist and chiropractor have used them as treatment modalities on me, as you can see above.
Enter KT Tape…..
I was a big fan of kinesiology tape way before KT Tape sent me this awesome roll of tape. In fact…. I MAY have a KT Tape hoarding problem just like my Nuun hoarding… see that pyramid of tape above? Yea, that’s all mine. Probably a lifetime supply!
KT Tape is a great way to help treat injuries non-invasively and you can use it on any pain. Of course this is not curative but can be a good addition to any treatment you may be undergoing.
A little about KT:
KT TAPE is applied along muscles, ligaments, and tendons (soft tissue) to provide a lightweight, external support that helps you remain active while recovering from injuries. KT Tape creates neuromuscular feedback (called proprioception) that inhibits (relaxes) or facilitates stronger firing of muscles and tendons. This feedback creates support elements without the bulk and restriction commonly associated with wraps and heavy bracing.
KT TAPE is made up of reinforced 100% cotton sheathes (ORIGINAL) or specially engineered, ultra-durable synthetic fabric (PRO) designed to provide durability and increased strength. These materials provide uni-directional elasticity- allowing the tape to stretch in length but preventing the tape from stretching in width. These fibers are made to provide stable support without restricting motion.
KT tape can be used on over 50 different injuries such as Runner’s knee, plantar fasciitis, shin splints, low back pain, hip flexor, ITBS and so many more. I have used it for tendinitis in my calf and knee pain before and both have been very effective. You can go to the KT website and there is a video on how to apply for all of the injuries you could possibly think of.
They come in so many colors
and even do limited edition tapes such as this awesome chevron that I picked up recently!
A few tips on applying that I have discovered over time:
- apply 1-2 hours before activity
- clean skin with an alcohol wipe to make sure skin is free of lotions, oils, etc that would prevent it from sticking properly
- activate the adhesive by rubbing the tape vigorously once applied, you can also use a hairdryer to help activate the adhesive
- spray hairspray to area and let dry and then apply tape (this will help in hot, humid weather if you sweat a lot)
- KT now makes an Ultrastick spray to help adhere the tape to your skin (I have not tried this yet, but probably will next summer as I sweat a lot)
Please remember, please consult with your physician if you are experiencing any sort of pain or injury. This will not take the place of formal treatment but can be used as an adjunct to treatment. Follow the instructions carefully because the key to kinesiology tape working is the appropriate tension that is placed on the tape when applying. The videos explain this really well and are a huge help.Check out @suzy399 and her tips for using @KTTape and a #giveaway #fitfluential Click To Tweet
The awesome people at KT Tape would like to give one of my readers 2 rolls of tape in a color of their choosing! Just use the rafflecopter below!
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
- You must be 18 years of age or older and is open to U.S. residents only
- The sweepstakes will run from 12/20/14 at 12:00am EST through 12/27/14 at 12:00am EST
- In order to enter to win you must use the rafflecopter entries.
- One winners will receive two KT Tape rolls, valued at $40
- The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- The winner will be selected at random on 12/27/14 and will be notified via email. Winner will have 48 hours to respond to email If the prize winner forfeits or does not claim the prize, prize will be re-awarded, in Sponsor’s sole discretion.
- All entrants are bound by the official rules of this giveaway.
- Winner must be able to prove identity and provide a legal mailing address.
- All entries are verified by myself.
- VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW