Hey everyone! I’m linking up with the DC Trifecta today. I just love Courtney, Cynthia and Mar and I love that I get to run into them every so often when I’m out running! I ran into both Courtney and Mar a few weeks ago at the Clarendon Day double! They are just awesome people, period dot. I wish I got the chance to run into Cynthia more than I do, but we are all so busy!
I love their linkups, but to be honest, I’m not good with writing posts under pressure with a designated topic and on short notice. I have most of my posts done several days in advance of posting, so if I don’t find out until the day before what the topic is….forget about it. These two boys keep me way too busy to be writing my posts the day before unfortunately. I’m more of a free flow writer and whatever comes to mind I will write about. So that’s why I don’t link up on a regular basis, but I love when I do. But just because I don’t link up doesn’t mean I don’t read everyone’s post! Well, I can’t get to everyone (this is a HUGE linkup now). But I do enjoy participating even if it is on the reading and commenting side. Anyway, it’s been a while and the topic this week
Five Favorite Fuels for Running
Now THIS is something I’m passionate about….I LOVE to eat. And I love to workout so I can eat, #nomnom. I post a lot of my food over on my Instagram, so if you are curious, you should check it out!
1. Pre-run fuel: Ezekial English muffin and peanut butter or almond butter. My go-to. I wouldn’t know what to eat if I didn’t have this available to me before a long run. Seriously. A great balance of protein and carbs to get my energy high. I try to make my own peanut/almond butter in my Vitamix when I can. There really is nothing like fresh nut butter!
2. Hydration: My go to hydration is Nuun, Ignite Naturals, and Ultima Replenisher. I honestly like each one equally in the flavor department. The edge that the Ignite and Ultima has is that they are plant based, unlike Nuun. I do like that Nuun is a tablet and dissolves whereas Ignite and Ultima are powders and can make it kind of messy to mix mid run. I like to switch it up because of all of the flavor varieties!
3. Mid run fuel: Honey Stinger gels, chews and waffles. I’ve tried almost every fuel there is out there….Gu, shot blocks, Sport beans…you name it, and the ONLY thing that sits well in my tummy is Honey Stingers. Whatever you do, make sure you test out your fuel before you use it on a long run. You don’t want to end up like me last spring after using caffeinated honey stingers by accident….Not pretty. As far as I’m concerned they are as close as you can get to real food. I haven’t tried real food yet because I don’t want to carry it or squish it and well, this is easier! And the chocolate waffles….to die for. I feel like I’m totally splurging when I have one of these…sometimes it’s hard not to reach in the pantry and just eat one for a snack!
4. Post run recovery–ALL the eggs. Preferably with bacon and cheese and veggies. There is NOTHING that I crave more after a long run. You are supposed to have a meal with protein 30 minutes after a run, so this totally fits the bill and is completely satisfying!
5. Mimosas: …………Yea, technically not “fuel” but it’s a good post run treat!
Or straight champage….whatever works….I’m not picky.
What is your favorite fuel for a run?
Anyone racing this weekend?