The topic this week was 5 reasons to run _________ (fill in the blank).
So this is the perfect opportunity to talk about my MARATHON this weekend!! In two days I will run my second marathon ever and it will be the exact same marathon I ran last year, Marine Corp Marathon. If you have been following along with me during my training, you know that I have hit many physical obstacles unfortunately during this training cycle. I’ve dealt with a calf strain, an achilles strain and now hip issues. My goals were pretty lofty at the beginning of training with hopes of shaving 43 minutes off of my marathon time last year. Had I been injury free, that would have probably been an achievable goal. But, because of the circumstances, I’ve done some adjusting in my timing goals which I think is appropriate. Some days I feel like I will be happy if I can just cross the finish line and others I’m still holding strong and hoping for at least coming in under 4:30. I’ve done the training, I’m embracing the taper and the rest is now out of my hands. Only time will tell on Sunday!! Fingers crossed! So for today’s Friday Five I’m talking about….
1. Sense of accomplishment: There is NOTHING and I mean NOTHING that can compare to the emotions that are felt after you cross the finish line of a marathon. The feeling that you accomplished something that less than 1% of the population has ever done is incredible. It’s not easy to run a marathon. A lot of hard work and dedication goes into training both physically AND mentally. There are very few things in this world that can really show you how much you are capable of and how strong mentally and physically you can be. The marathon is one of those things that can. Training is really where the accomplishment happens, the race is really just your victory lap….all 26.2 miles of a victory lap.
2. Food: you can eat ALL of the food after it’s over. Go ahead….. splurge without the guilt, you did just burn almost 3,000 calories!
3. FUN: I know, not many people think that running 26.2 miles is fun. Some may even say it’s crazy. Be that as it may, we wouldn’t all run that distance if we didn’t have fun. Smile and never take it off your face… it IS possible to have a perma-grin. Well, maybe its’ not a grin…. it’s an “I’m so excited I just can’t contain myself” look..I MAY have been a little excited. I hope I have the same enthusiasm this time around!
4. Beer: You may not be a beer drinker like myself, but there is NOTHING better than an ice cold beer after crossing the finish line….well….on second thought…..a nice cold glass of champagne if history repeats itself!
5. Bragging rights: You have an excuse to wear a race medal around for days and not care why people are looking at you funny! Yes, we all went out to dinner and drinks last year several days later and all wore our medals.
Well, here we go…MCM or bust! I’ll be back next week, and hopefully with some good news! I may take a few days off post marathon, but you can follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for marathon updates over the weekend!!See what a #marathon perma-grin looks like! #marinemarathon #motherrunner #fitfluential #sweatpink via @suzy399 Click To Tweet
Anything else you would add to my list?
What would your biggest food splurge be after you finished a marathon?